Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easy AND Delish Homemade bread


I don't have a breadmaker. I wish I did, but I don't. I love making a good homemade bread, and absolutely nothing can compare to the smell of fresh bread baking. The recipe below is the one that I learned on. It was the first bread I ever made by hand, and it is still one of my all time favorites! Its got a bit of a crusty top, but a smooth soft center. yum! 
Ingredients

3/4 cup warm water
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vegetable shortening
1/2 cup milk
3 cups flour (approx.)

In large mixing bowl, mix yeast in warm water, stirring until completely. Add salt, sugar, shortening, and milk. Stir. Add 2 cups of the flour and mix well using hands or a mixer with bread hooks. Add flour until a cohesive dough forms, and the dough "chases" the mixers. Put dough in a buttered bowl turning so the top of the dough is also greased. Cover bowl with damp hand towel and let rise for 1 hour. After letting dough rise, punch it down in the bowl, then place it on a flowered surface and knead well. Place formed dough into a buttered bread pa. Cover again and let rise for 30 minutes. Uncover and score the top of the dough 3 times. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes until browned.





No comments:

Post a Comment