Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter Sucess!!!!

Easter dinner was a total sucess! It was awesome! I picked up a bone-in shank portion on sale for $1.16/lb. I have never prepared one of these before, normally opting for the spiral sliced pre-cooked variety. When I opened it up IT HAD SKIN! EW!!!! I was completely grossed out. Ok, deep breath, we can deal with this. So I cut the skin and peeled it off, exposing mass quantities of fat. Ok, next hurtle. So i cut off all the fat that i could. Alright, that wasn't so bad. Pretty simple actually. Now I can handle this. I was a little worried that without the skin it could be dry, but I slow cooked it with a honey glaze and it was great! tasted delish! So here's the recipe for you!
Honey Glazed Shank Portion Ham

Ingredients

1 (5 pound) shank portion ham
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups honey
2 tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Place ham in foil lined pan (you DEFINITELY want foil). Cook ham for 5 hours in oven. After ham slowcooks, in a small saucepan heat the brown sugar, honey, and butter. Add about 1/2 cup of the pan drippings to the glaze. Brush glaze over the ham. Put back in oven and set to 325 degrees for additional 1 hour, basting every 20 min. Cover loosely with foil to prevent burning if it starts to get too brown. ENJOY!



My other big success were my pull-apart herb biscuits. they are wonderful. Recipe as follows:

Ingredients

1 tube refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (grands size)
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 tbsp grated parmesean cheese
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme

separate biscuits and cut into quarters. In an ungreased round pan, 9-in (i use a metal pie pan combine remaining ingredients and mix together. Add biscuits and toss to coat. Bake at 450 degrees for 8-12 min, until golden brown. Invert on plate to serve :)

No comments:

Post a Comment