Monday, May 2, 2011

Homemade Ricotta Cheese


Ok, I came across this recipe for the first time in a cookbook I checked out from the library called Family Meals. There are plenty of variations online, including this exact recipe. I thought it was a really neat cookbook with unusual things that I hadnt even thought of. Its also the book where I got one of the recipes for marshmallows that I will be doing later this week
The ricotta turned out great. I wasn't sure it had actually worked until I was pretty much done with it. It is going to be used in a 3-cheese ziti that was adapted from a recipe my best friend Christy gave me. I'll post that recipe too, maybe tomorrow?

Ingredients

1 gallon whole milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 tsp kosher salt


tools needed

1 large nonreactive pot (meaning no copper or aluminum)
instant read thermometer
silicone spatula
colondar
cheesecloth (muslin)
large bowl
slotted spoon
storage container


Pour the milk and cream into the pot over med-high heat. Stir with spatula to keep from burning. Check temperature frequently and heat to just before the milk boils to a temperature just shy or 185 degrees.
Remove from heat and add vinegar. stir for 30 seconds, during which the milk with form curds. Add salt and stir another 30 seconds. Cover the pot with a dish towel and let stand at room temp for 2 hours. After the 2 hours have past place the cheesecloth in the colander and place it over the bowl. Using the slotted spoon transfer the curds to the colander. Allow to drain for 30 min. Gather the cheesecloth and twist to drain out the rest of the liquid. When the water that is draining turns to a milky color and the cheese starts to come through the cloth then it has been sufficiently drained. Remove the cheese from the cloth and store in airtight container in fridge. Use within one week.

Check temperature frequently. Remove from heat just before 185 degrees.

Curds will form quickly after adding the vinegar.

Make sure to store in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment